The PIC microcontroller PIC16f877a is one of the most renowned microcontrollers in the industry. This microcontroller is very convenient to use, the coding or programming of this controller is also easier. One of the main advantages is that it can be write-erase as many times as possible because it uses FLASH memory technology. It has a total number of 40 pins and there are 33 pins for input and output. PIC16F877A is used in many pic microcontroller projects. PIC16F877A also have much application in digital electronics circuits.
PIC16f877a finds its applications in a huge number of devices. It is used in remote sensors, security and safety devices, home automation and many industrial instruments. An EEPROM is also featured in it which makes it possible to store some of the information permanently like transmitter codes and receiver frequencies and some other related data. The cost of this controller is low and its handling is also easy. It is flexible and can be used in areas where microcontrollers have never been used before as in microprocessor applications and timer functions etc.
- It has a smaller 35 instructions set.
- It can operate up to 20MHz frequency.
- The operating voltage is between 4.2 volts to 5.5 volts. If you provide it voltage more than 5.5 volts, it may get damaged permanently.
- It does not have an internal oscillator like other PIC18F46K22, PIC18F4550.
- The maximum current each PORT can sink or source is around 100mA. Therefore, the current limit for each GPIO pin of PIC16F877A is 10 mili ampere.
- It is available in four IC packaging such as 40-pin PDIP 44-pin PLCC, 44-pin TQFP, 44-pin QFN